La Mia Famiglia

La Mia Famiglia

Just a tad about me

My photo
God's child. Nick's wife. Roman, Dallon & Rocco's mommy. These are the things I would never change.

Popular Posts

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Speedy Shrimp & Sausage Paella

Back in May I had a Pampered Chef party & my fabulous consultant/friend gave me this cookbook off of my wish list. I have been one of PC's biggest fans for about 15 years & have owned this deep dish cooker for about 4 years. The other day I pulled this cookbook out & decided to cook my way through it. The first recipe is Speedy Shrimp & Sausage Paella, which I have printed below, along with pictures from my dinner last night. Hope you enjoy!

Speedy Shrimp & Sausage Paella

Ingredients:
1 medium onion
8 oz (250 g) smoked Polish sausage
1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth (about 2 cups/500 mL)
1 cup (250 mL) uncooked long grain white rice
1 tbsp (15 mL) Creole Rub
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1/2 tsp (2 mL) turmeric
1 lb (450 g) medium uncooked shrimp (41-50 per pound), peeled and deveined, tails removed
1 can (14.5 ounces) petite diced tomatoes with green chiles (1 3/4 cups/425 mL), drained
1 pkg (9 oz) frozen artichoke hearts, thawed (1 1/2 cups/375 mL)
1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas, thawed
Chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Directions:
Chop onion using Food Chopper. Cut sausage crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick (6-mm) slices. Combine onion, sausage and oil in Deep Covered Baker. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add broth, rice, rub, garlic pressed with Garlic Press and turmeric to baker; mix well. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 16-20 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring every 5 minutes.2.Carefully remove baker from microwave using Oven Mitts. Add shrimp, tomatoes, artichokes and peas to baker; mix well. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 3-5 minutes or until shrimp are opaque. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.Yield: 6 servings

Nutrients per serving: Calories 380, Total Fat 15 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 140 mg, Carbohydrate 36 g, Protein 25 g, Sodium 850 mg, Fiber 4 g

Cook's Tips: Do not overcook shrimp, as they will continue to cook during standing time.

Turmeric is a yellow spice that’s a key ingredient in curry powder and mustard. It’s a suitable substitute for saffron, which is commonly used in paella but extremely expensive.

If desired, 2 cups (500 mL) diced cooked chicken can be substituted for the shrimp.










I decided to increase the meat & rice in the recipe to fit our larger than normal family.


I bought the skinless smoked Eckrich sausage.






At this point you cover & cook in micro for 3 minutes.





Doubled the rice


Yummmm.. We LOVE garlic! I keep a jar of minced garlic in my fridge.


Stir then add more ingredients.





For a 'bite'


I used heaping measurements of the spices since I double my rice.


It was my first time working with Turmeric & I love it.




I doubled the broth too, to cook the rice.




Back in the micro for 20 minutes.





Prepare the ingredients that will go in next.




Don't forget to stir the mixture every 5 minutes!


These are waiting until the end.


Last will be the fresh parsley.


This is what it looks like after 20 minutes of cooking.


Drain & rinse the shrimp.


Add everything except parsley.


Stir


And cook until shrimp are opaque color. I had to cook about an extra 8minutes because of the increased measurements.


And this is what you have!


But don't forget the parsley!


Viola!


Dallon liked the shrimp but not the sausage or artichoke hearts.


Roman didn't care for it but he ate it.


Nick & Rocco were at practice by this time but Nick loved it so much he had it for breakfast too. And Rocco didn't care for it but liked the sausage. I loved it! Who knew that a microwaved meal could be so good? This really was an easy recipe. I will be doing it again. Next time I think I'll leave the artichoke hearts out to make everyone else happy.




If you try it please come back & let me know what you think!



Tonight I'm doing recipe #2: BBQ Bacon Stuffed Meat Loaf






If you have any questions about the Pampered Chef prdoucts you see here, please ask! I don't sell it but I should, as much as I love it. I do have a wonderful consultant that would be happy to assist you.

No comments:

Post a Comment